Sunday 29 June 2008

Waffles and Surprises in Brussels!


Aight so Leng, Chuen, Sandee, me and Ah seng decided to travel, and travel we did. We were mostly burnt out from the recent final exams and so none of us were quite up to walking and sightseeing. Certainly we've earned the right to holiday, we were now officially stress free upon the completion of our degrees! 3 cheers to the end of our childhoods and heya to the endless years of mortgage paying and income taxes and I think I better stop before I become too depressed.

Ultimately we decided all we wanted deep down was to plunk our bums in a cafe sipping good coffee and to laugh at those unfortunate souls hurrying past us about their business and work. Brussels it is then, we decided. Brussels! The capital of the European Union, the city of mussels, waffles and all things chocolate. Needless to say we were much surprised to find the citymates of Manneken Pis actually more relaxed than we were. At times I wondered (with genuine fondness!) if the City's economy was fueled by the mere laziness of its denizens.

Onward to official stuff, crisp and all business-like now am I. 4 eateries of note in Brussels. But first, Waffles.

Forgive me if I laugh at your misfortune and stupidity if you do not at least try the Belgium waffles at the Café du Vaudeville ("Vauderville"). Having heard much of the apparent overratedness of Belgium waffles (not to mention our first experience with Belgian waffles, see pic below, seriously wtf it was horrendous. Absolutely terrifying) I must admit that I approached the Vauderville with much reservedness and skepticism. Fortunately my mistrust was misplaced! The Vauderville is located inside the Galerie de la Reine ("the Arcade") and is on your right approximately halfway through if you enter from the direction of the Grande Place. The head waiter was extremely courteous and was glad to seat us outside the cafe, in an excellent location to laugh the day away. Preliminary glances at the price menu caused many initial anxieties, in the book of Kean waffles priced at 7 Euros a piece better be frickin good.

Example of FAIL Waffle


I picked the Apple Waffle in a rare moment of fickleness. Now, we all know apples are fine when sweet. Baking with apples, however, is a rather risky venture. Bakers rarely, if ever, cook with RED apples. Red apples tend to brittleness and do not bake well at all. There is therefore the usual risk of having sour green apples in your pastry if you have the nerve to order such. Remember friends, that in pastries and starters you are either looking for sweetness, acidity, or if it suits your fancy, god knows why, back of the tongue bitterness (For the love of Assam Laksa people, this is why coffee was invented. Sheesh); never saltiness or sourness.


Ah Seng also chose the Apple Waffle. Leng had the Ice-cream and Strawberry Waffle, Sandee and Chuen picked the White and Black Belgium Chocolate Waffle. The Chocolate Waffle was the first to arrive and was an instant delight to my palate. Allow me to emphasise: no chocolate, No Chocolate in this world that I have thus tasted can even hold a candle to Belgium chocolate. Sweet, distinct and creamy, yet possessing that subtle hint of bitterness that lingers in your mouth after the first swallow, it is the perfect companion to a good pastry. Which brings us to the waffle itself. Served warm and taken fresh from the oven, it was baked to perfection. Tender is a word normally reserved for meat but I shall take the liberty of applying it here. What the heck, a tender waffle? You have to try it to believe it. The taste of the waffle itself represents another wonder. The batter must have been perfectly compositioned, I wouldn't be able to reproduce it in a gazillion years. Every bite was a delight.


Rofl in my Wafl Imba Chocolate Waffle


Perhaps my palate longed for more chocolate, for the ice-cream waffle, although also masterfully prepared, seemed to be lacking in impressiveness. The Ice-cream was high qual stuff don't get me wrong, but it appeared insignificant compared to the chocolate.



Ice-Cream Waffle!

A happy ending to this waffle story! My apple waffle finally arrived, and I was shocked initially to see the amount of syrup flowing on the plate. Certainly, I thought, the apples cannot be sweet, why otherwise did you coat it with syrup if not to conceal the sourness of the apples? How wrong I was! The apples, baked perfectly, were sweet and juicy! Sherbet was sprinkled on the waffle making it the perfect "icing" for the whole deal. All in all I was once again pretty impressed with the meal. I for one certainly finished my portion happily.

Sweet Happy Ending - Apple Wafls

In general, everyone appeared genuinely satisfied with the snack. What then did we do? Obviously we proceeded to order a couple of drinks, to sit back, to laugh the afternoon away, inwardly smiling at the busy townsfolk while savouring the remnants of a unforgettable meal in our bellies. But that is a story for another day :)


Café du Vaudeville
Galerie de la Reine
1000 BRUSSELS ( CITY )Phone: 02.511.23.45 Fax: 02.512.40.77

Closed on Open 7/7 (close on Sunday at 8pm)

2 comments:

Maverick said...

roffle my woffle, it seriously is good!!

mmmw said...

ok














xD